Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 19, 2018, 01:10:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pimple on my Corydoras nostril  (Read 823 times)
WaterSkies
« on: December 16, 2017, 03:33:33 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hello,
I've been looking all over the internet for an answer for this and I haven't been able to find one. I'll give out some of my tank info before I get to the actual problem.
I have a 10 gal tank with 1 male betta, 4 female Blue Mickey Mouse Platys, 6 male Endler guppies, 4 Peppered Corydoras (3 female 1 male) and a baby Bristlenose Pleco and a butt load of bladder snails lol. I know it's overstocked but it's only temporary until I get my 40gal long cycled. I have 2 HOB filters on there, each meant for a 20gal and I also have a bubble sponge filter. I do a 50-60% water change once a week. It's planted with Anubias, Java Fern and some marimo moss balls and has driftwood, some stones and a sand substrate.

But my question is that today during feeding I noticed one of my Peppered Corys has what almost looks like a zit or pimple inside her nostril. She's acting normal doing her normal Cory things and she's eating and swimming normally. Last month in my sister's tank she had an outbreak of ick and what my Cory has doesn't look anything like ick. It's legit looks like a pimple you'd get on your face but it's in her nose and just looks so uncomfortable. It even looks a little swollen around her nostril. I'm hoping to know what it could asap because I want to treat whatever it is as fast as possible before she gets worse or even dies. She's one of my fave Corys cause she has such abnormally long pectoral fins and looks like a little plane lol.

Thank you for any suggestions or info before hand.
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 03:21:41 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hello Waterskies, sorry you haven't gotten any replies yet.
Reading through your post I am glad to see that you are aware that your 10 gallon is wayyyyyyyy overstocked. You need to change that very soon, it is possible that you will see a lot more illnesses in your fish otherwise. Not to mention that your fish aren't too happy with this arrangement and feeling quite stressed.

So, pimple in the nostril..do you mean the gills? It is hard to tell you what the pimple could be, without a picture. Perhaps you can have a look through the disease identification link to see if you can find something that resembles it? http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html
I am guessing it could be some kind of tumor, or cyst.

Also, if you live in the same household as your sister, make sure you aren't sharing any equipment (gravel vac...net....) because of cross contamination where you transfer one disease from one tank to the other!

I hope your fish will be fine  goldfish

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
WaterSkies

Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 05:04:42 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hello!
Thank you for your response!

Yes it's way to overstocked for sure. Beginner ignorance for the win lol.. At least they all get along really well. No fights or picking at each other or anything. My betta is super chill so that probably helps lol
I've never had an issue with disease or anything really before in that tank.. this is the first.

No it's not in the gills. It's a little hard to describe and since I'm new it won't allow me to add pictures..
It's a white bump on the inside of her nostril, like those raised little cylinders on her nose. I'm pretty sure those are nostrils at least.
At first I thought it might be a bit of sand in there but it started swelling white outside the nostril yesterday so I don't think it's sand.
I picked up some Melafix yesterday and added some extra aquarium salt with a 25% water change and when I woke up this morning I noticed it has gone down a bit. It doesn't look as tender now if that makes sense.

Yup we have nets and homemade gravel vacs assigned to each tank so no worries there =3

Thank you! I hope my lil Sammy will be fine too~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's