Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

January 19, 2018, 12:44:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the deal with loaches?  (Read 250 times)
Afri

Tanks: Currently fishless, but with lots of plans!

Hopelessly addicted

« on: December 27, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »

Thinking of adding a loach to my tank.  In researching, I read that they are shy, burrow,and
 are nocturnal, and need hide
outs in driiftwood, etc.  Having read all this, I asked the guy at my local fish store whether I would ever see them after
I put them in the tank and he said 'probably not".  Folks on the forum seem to be happy with
theirs, even without having several of them instead of one. I'm interested in what forum folk
have experienced with their loaches, good or bad.  I'm also wondering whether the blue night-time mode
on my new LED tank would allow me to see them on at night.  Thanks!

something new, tiny dots, baby fish growing
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »

My experience is only with Kuhli Loaches, and I love them. True, they do hide a lot, but the more hiding places you provide for them, and the more of them you keep in your tank, the more confident they are and you will see them more often. They come out at feeding time mostly, but they do come out to play as well. They will swim along the length of your aquarium, and up the edges...fast, in snake-like motion. They will come to sudden stop and rest on your plants, they will just sit there, somtimes completely contorted, hanging out for a moment or two and start their swimming antics all over again. At feeding time you will see them rummaging along the substrate in search for a morsel.
Because they have barbels you should aim for a substrate like sand, or small polished gravel. They don't like bright lights, I'm not sure if they are truly nocturnal or if they just avoid coming out for most people when the tank lights are on? My Kuhli Loaches come out at feeding time, even if the lights are on!

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
Afri

Hopelessly addicted

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 02:11:05 PM »

Thanks Netti!

mchambers

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 06:59:34 PM »

Really depends on the species.  I have Burmese dwarf loaches and they’re out all the time.  What species are you considering?
TwoTankAmin

United States United States

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 10:17:28 AM »

MCchambers got it right. There are many species. Here is an excellent resource you can use to get information http://www.loaches.com/

I have only kept 3 species Clown Loach (Chromobotia macracanthus), Yoyo loach (Botia almorhae) and Dwarf Loach (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki). These are all very long loved fish. I have two of my clowwns at 10-12 incjed and getting close to 20 years old. I have had my spme of sids for approaching 15 years. Unfortunately, I had to give away my yoyos because they had a bad habit of harassing my angels. At that time I had no wat to separate them. I was fairly new in the hobby then and had not yet learned about compatibility issues when stocking a community tank.

None of my loaches bury themselves, I always see them. But the clowns do like to nap inside caves. The reason I got them to begin with was the result of a picture I saw on the site linked above. it caused me to fall in love with clowns https://www.loaches.com/species-index/photos/c/chromobotia_macracanthus_group04.jpg/image_view_fullscreen

This is an old (and poor) picture of some of my clowns when they lived in a 75 gal. They now reside in a 150. They are not shy.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:25:18 AM by TwoTankAmin » Logged

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Afri

Hopelessly addicted

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 06:36:51 PM »

I am thinking of getting some Chinese Hillstream loaches to go with a school of White Cloud Mountain Minnnows.
I like doing biotope setups.  I think I will get them based on response to my question.  Thanks guys!  happy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's