Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 24, 2018, 07:19:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 
 
   forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disinfecting equipment  (Read 524 times)
Ruthy
Veterinarian
Full Member

Offline Offline

Gender: Female
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Posts: 3,480



« on: January 07, 2018, 09:38:39 AM »

The fish in the tank I'm fostering... A couple of the barbs are flashing and the neons have a cottony growth on them. Going to treat them ASAP. However, I only have one siphon and two buckets which get used in my own tank. Obviously I don't want this ending up in my tank. How can I disinfect between the tanks safely?
Logged
Netti
Full Member

Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Canada Canada

Posts: 2,302



« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 12:15:20 PM »

You could soak everything in a 1 part vinegar 2 part water mixture for 20 minutes. Vinegar is quite good in killing germs. Or perhaps use a bleach solution and then rinse well and soak in dechlorinated water.
Logged

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
Ruthy
Veterinarian
Full Member

Offline Offline

Gender: Female
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Posts: 3,480



« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 01:31:21 PM »

Thank you Netti! I do have some F10 disinfectant that I had for nebulising mice with. I wonder if that'd be safer than bleach
Logged
TwoTankAmin
Full Member

Offline Offline

United States United States

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.
Posts: 350



« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 11:43:11 AM »

I have always used bleach to kill nasties. Just some common sense is all one needs to keep it safe. It is also easy to get rid of bleach via rinsing. If you use bleach in a bucket and rinse it out, then let it dry, no bleach is left. Chlorine is a gas and wants to evaporate. So if you used 100% bleach, then gave the bucket a rinse and let it dry completely, there should be 0 chlorine remaining. Be sure to use plain old bleach with no scenting etc.

For algae killing a 19-1 water to bleach works. I do a 60 to 90 second dip. Very delicate plants may not handle this well.
For sterilizing I use about 10 -1 mix with a 15 to 20 minute soak.

Do not bleach wood or sponges, it causes them to breakdown. However, plastic, rock tile, glass etc. etc. can all be bleached.

Also, most nasties that live in water can not survive a decent drying out.
Logged

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Ruthy
Veterinarian
Full Member

Offline Offline

Gender: Female
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Posts: 3,480



« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 11:32:44 AM »

Thank you Smiley . I'll have a look and see what bleach I have in. Luckily it's just the buckets and siphon I need to disinfect
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

 

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation

Complete Map

 

 

 

Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.