Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 24, 2018, 07:17:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Every time I miss a weekly water change I lose a neon  (Read 322 times)
doggonecrazy

« on: December 24, 2017, 06:19:11 PM »

Tank Size: 20 long

Filtration (include media types i.e. activated carbon, floss, etc): I have a 20 long with a 30 gallon filter, plus an additional 10 gallon submersible filter that I keep cycled in case I need the hospital tank. I removed the carbon.

How long has your tank been set up: since 2012

Using a liquid reagent test kit, please provide the following:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
PH: 7.5
I know it's weird that the nitrates and nitrites are zero, but that's how my tank always tests except for one time when I was in the hospital and my husband overfed the fish. For today's test, I had him shake the nitrates as hard as he could for 60 seconds.

Temperature: 78 degrees. I know that's high for Neons but our house is warm, so I can't really do anything about it.

Substrate: Aquarium gravel

Décor/Live or fake plants: Fake

Maintenance (water changes-how much, how often, vacuum, etc): 50% water change once a week. Every 5 weeks I vacuum and rinse out the filters in aquarium water.

Dechlorinator: Prime

Who lives in your tank? Include a  listing of inhabitants, feeding schedule, and how long they have had the inhabitants. 9 neons. 4 are old, probably 2 years, and the others are less than 6 months. But the problem started before I got them. They eat once a day, every day.

What symptoms are being exhibited and when did they start: As I said I do a weekly water change. In the last year and a half I have missed 4 water changes and every time I have had a neon "disappear" only to be found later in as a gelatinous little corpse during a water change. I never see them getting sick or exhibiting any symptoms. Just one day they're gone.

I seems a little extreme to me that I can't even miss one weekly water change. Is that normal? Is it the temperature? Are neons really that sensitive?

If you've read this far, thanks for your time. Any help would be appreciated!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation