Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

June 19, 2018, 05:24:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Camallanus worm advice  (Read 751 times)
nanoboy

United States United States

« on: March 15, 2018, 06:27:40 PM »

Main issue tank:

Tank Size: 10gal

Set up time: At least six months ago

Temperature: 78° F

Substrate: Sand

Décor/Live or fake plants: Ludwigia, crypt, baby's tears, anubias nana, resin decor pieces

Maintenance: Daily cleaning of viewing panes, weekly 20-40% water changes with vacuum

Inhabitants:
1 male betta fighting fish
2 young female guppies
20-ish guppy fry
2 female african dwarf frogs
3 ghost shrimp

About two months ago, I introduced three guppies to one of my ten gallon tanks (not the one mentioned above). These guppies are the suspected carriers of the dreaded camallanus worms. All three guppies began exhibiting symptoms, before I saw the worms protruding from their vents. By then I had already shared water and tools between tanks (like an idiot) and both of my ten gallons were likely infected. Eventually, the guppies passed away despite frequent feedings of food with fenbendazole, leaving behind a gazillion fry. Thinking the disease was vanquished, I went back to normal.

Just yesterday I saw worms protruding from the vent of one of my bettas, and today he died. His tank is empty, but I am fairly sure that my other tank is also infected, due to the contagious-ness of these devil worms. The only symptoms I've seen are minor fin tears and swollen stomach on the betta in the remaining tank.

I'm feeding medicated food today, and hoping for the best. Is there anything I can do? What about the guppy fry? Can ghost shrimp act as an intermediate host? Can the ADFs contract the worms?

Any help would be appreciated!
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 02:12:01 PM »

Try this link:

http://inkmkr.com/Fish/CamallanusTreatment/

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 105 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 12:35:02 PM »

I have been buying meds from Dr. Harrison for years.  I cannot recommend him highly enough. I always have both Levamisole HCL and Flubendazole in my fish med kit.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation