Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 22, 2018, 06:26:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Elephant nose fish with abrassion/damage to nose/sensor  (Read 427 times)
Sky
« on: August 20, 2018, 01:27:44 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I hope someone can give me some direction on the possibility of my fish healing.  I came home this eve -found my elephant fish laying near the bottom of my 48gal tank.  He started to swim but without any control of direction/ he had some blood on his sensor/proboscis.  I have quarantined him from the other fish...5 barbs a loach
wHvkG         
weHvkG
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 08:33:34 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Step one, massive water change.  Clean water is the best healer.  Do you know what your nitrates are?  How long has the tank been established?

When you say you quarantined him, did you put him in a different tank?  That can be VERY stressful.

There are lots of barbs and lots of loaches available for this hoby.  What kind do you have.  Almost all loaches need to be in groups of their own species, keeping one solo may have caused it to become aggressive toward your elephant nose.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Sky
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 06:37:35 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thank you for your suggestions... we had to take him out of his normal tank as the other fish were swarming him and attacking him.   We stayed up all night keeping watch over him, at some point it looked as though he may be okay, we are devastated that he didnt make it through the night.   the nitrates are always under 20, the tank has been
established    over 3 months.  We have 2 other tanks but I wanted to have a semi aggressive tank.  We cycled the tank for some time before before slowly introducing any fish.  I realized that the loaves are in one of our other tanks and the barbs are green tiger barbs.   We had one angel fish.   We had been very cautious about integrating new fish and always made sure there weren't any issues with the fish being territorial.  The elephant nose was seemed  very peaceful and happy.  I had him eating from my hand.  The only issue I ever saw was sometimes during feeding the barbs would try to take his bloodworms.  That's why I hand fed him to make sure  he got enough and it kept the other fish at a safe distance.
Do you know if it is possible to recuperate a fish like him with damage to the proboscis?
Feeling very sad.  Definitely an eye opener as to how much he became a part of our life.  I will make sure I do even more research before ever having another one as they are so special.    We did allot of research, and spent allot of time asking questions regarding what was okay / safe for his environment ect...we came at it from every angle.  What is interesting is that there are some conflicting points of advice we got.  Reading how others have had theirs for 14/15 years... I understand how one can grow to love their fish so much.
thank you for your help!  Any information for future would be welcomed.

Sky

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 11:07:41 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

We cycled the tank for some time before before slowly introducing any fish.

How did you do that?  What was your source of ammonia?

I realized that the loaves are in one of our other tanks and the barbs are green tiger barbs.   We had one angel fish. 

So the tank with the elephant nose was a 48 gallon tank with 5 green tiger barbs and an angel fish?

Do you know if it is possible to recuperate a fish like him with damage to the proboscis?

I have no idea what damage he had, you saw him, I didn't.

We did allot of research, and spent allot of time asking questions regarding what was okay / safe for his environment ect...we came at it from every angle.  What is interesting is that there are some conflicting points of advice we got.  Reading how others have had theirs for 14/15 years... I understand how one can grow to love their fish so much.

Conflicting information is everywhere.  Stop and ask yourself who you are asking for advice.  Is this person in a position to gain from giving you poor advice?   Fish stores gain financially by giving out poor information.  You come back and buy more fish, more meds, more this and more that.  Getting on a message board and talking to people that simply love the hoby and don't gain or lose by offering their opinion is a much more reliable way to get information.  But even then, you will find someone that thinks they know it all offering up what worked for them even though they have never owned the same fish you have...so be cautious about whose advice you take.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation