Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

May 19, 2019, 08:19:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pleco and Apple Snail  (Read 895 times)
zenwen

United States United States

« on: March 12, 2019, 07:13:17 AM »

I have a male Bristolnose and he insists on knocking my Golden Apple around the 40 gallon tank they are in like a soccer ball. I have never heard of this or had it happen before. Thoughts and is this harmful to the snail? It happens at night after the tank lights are out ( I discovered this because I kept hearing a clicking noise) and occasionally during the day.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 06:45:15 PM »

I can't imagine that getting bounced around like a soccer ball has any favorability to the snail. I don't think your Pleco is doing this on purpose. Your Pleco is simply large enough to move/dislodge the snail out of it's way while it searches for food. our pleco and snail perform almost the same procures for feeding. Your Pleco just does it faster and covers a larger area at one time (to include spaces the snail is occupying at any given moment).

Russ

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
zenwen

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 06:16:27 PM »

Looking for food was my initial thought but it is way beyond that. The Pleco is relentless. It has gotten so bad I bought the snail a 5,5 gallon to get it away from the Pleco. I was afraid the jostling and contact with this glass might crack the snails shell. It certainly is a mystery to me.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 06:43:18 PM »

That is something I failed to recommend. Glad you thought of that. How is your snail doing now?

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's