Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 23, 2014, 05:22:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oscars In an Outside pond?  (Read 6710 times)
PM21
« on: June 03, 2007, 12:08:34 PM »

I went to my LFS the other day to and notcied one of the employees bagging up some very large Oscars, 7-10ins. I asked where they were going and I was told they were being bought to be placed in an outside pond. Not an expert w/ Oscars, but this is the first time I heard this. Is this a normal practice?

Paul.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 125 coldwater community, 450 pacu community, 180 tilapia, 30 shell dwelling cichlids, 25 community

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 01:47:03 PM »

I have never heard of it either... I hope you live in a warm climate!  They are sooo personable, it almost seems a waste to put them out doors... although in a big pond they would probably breed regularly and produce enough offspring to make the pond owner some nice pocket change.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
April ♥ Lynn
Absolutely Flabergasted
Senior Staff

Tanks: Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Find that quiet place in your heart, and listen.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 02:40:23 PM »

that's kinda an interesting idea, if you live somewhere warm. you gotta wonder if it would be better for them, being in a larger place that a pond can offer, and having bugs available all the time. It would surely be good for their diet...

You\'re never to old for a happy childhood\"
PM21
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 03:03:09 PM »

Hey Karen, I sent cha a PM.

Yeah, I believe the person said the pond was very large, well, its a land scaping pond, I beleive 16'-18' was the radious.

I live in the wonderful state of IA. Woo lame, but right now the weather will temp in the 70s and up. but our weather changes on a dime, dont know about your part o the country, but here one day its snowing, and a few days later we are up into the 70s a few times.

Hopefully they bring them in during the winter months.
April ♥ Lynn
Absolutely Flabergasted
Senior Staff

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 03:44:57 PM »

wow, that quite cold. i am in canada, and it's 86.9*F, 30.3*c, it's nice Smiley

Hickler
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 04:14:32 PM »

You have to hope they bring them in. Or else they will be *DUH DUH DUH* (Scary tone) DOOMED!  :sick:
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 09:50:07 PM »

Perhaps they have a heater system with their pond- otherwise, the fish won't survive the fall in Iowa, much less the winter.  My neighbor even brings his goldfish inside at the beginning of fall here.

russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 11:17:20 AM »

What is the misconception? Is this something that the LFS is perportrating?  Oscars are surely not the first cichlid to be housed in a large pond, then brought indoors when the weather cools or are supplied with some type of additional suplemental heating. Other than that, water temps in natural Iowa ponds in the winter would be too cold for them to thrive.  Smiley

[attachment deleted by admin to free up space]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 08:41:07 AM by russ » Logged

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
jason in houston1
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 10:31:56 PM »

this is kinda off topic but, my friend went fishing once in a lake in louisiana and said he caught something that looked liked a oscar or something. wow thats weird. but now he move to florida and he doesnt see them in lakes anymore
April ♥ Lynn
Absolutely Flabergasted
Senior Staff

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 11:53:37 PM »

he probably did. a lot of people dump their fish in lakes and stuff...

http://www.canadianaquariumconnection.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361

Redfish01
The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes.

tight lines to all fisherman

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 08:32:58 AM »

Believe me, Oscars and Tilapia are more prevalent in Florida lakes, ponds and canals then you might think. The irresponsible hobbyist who doesn't take into consideration the size and care the Oscars require release them into these area's (Illegally Albeit).

I personally have caught Tilapia and an Oscar here in a brackish water canal and as Cindy had enlightened me, It was illegal to put it back from were it was caught.

They are much more prevalent the farther south in Florida you are and can thrive year round here with the warmer climate.

why I Outta....Bang Zoom !!
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 125 coldwater community, 450 pacu community, 180 tilapia, 30 shell dwelling cichlids, 25 community

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 09:32:58 AM »

Red tilapia (a very salt tolerant spcies) are real common in Flordida now.  All released from aquaculture farms by accidnet.  Lovely eh?  I wasn't aware of the Oscars, but I guess I am not surprised.

Arizona and New Mexico are full of Tilapia as well.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 11:52:53 AM »

Oscars and Tilapia in Florida and Louisiana natural waterways affects Oscars released in Iowa waterways, how? mumbles

These fish surviving and thriving in those warmer waterways is not a myth, rumor, or misconception. Iowa however, is a totaly different issue.   Wink

« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 04:46:28 PM by russ » Logged

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Zones
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 01:55:29 AM »

I used to live in Florida, Oscars were the fish you were most likely to catch unless using large lures specifically for bass.
Hickler
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 12:54:45 PM »

Zones this is an old thread and has died. You can start a new one if you like though.
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 11:08:35 AM »

Correct.

Again...............

Oscars and Tilapia in Florida and Louisiana natural waterways affects Oscars released in Iowa waterways, how?  

These fish surviving and thriving in those warmer waterways is not a myth, rumor, or misconception. Iowa however, is a totaly different issue.   

(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's