Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

March 22, 2017, 05:12:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: taking pictures tips!  (Read 14551 times)
Rob1619

« on: September 28, 2007, 05:53:51 AM »

Hey guys!
Here are some tips on getting those decent pictures of your fish.
The Camera: My cam is the Fuji Finepix E550
My settings for taking pics:
I use low ISO,80-100.If you use over 200 ISO it will be to much noice on the picture.
I also use the Tulip button(Macro mode).
The Auto: Places the camera in control of all basic exposure settings, including aperture and shutter speed. The user has control over zoom, macro mode, and some flash settings.
Shutter Button: Located on the camera's top panel, this button sets focus and exposure when halfway pressed, and fires the shutter when fully pressed,so when you are ready to take a pic then halfway press the button to see if the fish is in focus.If it doesnt show the fish clear then halfway press it till it shows the fish clear and the fully press the button.
Flash:I dont really like to use flash since it want show the true color of the fish.Though there are some things that you can do to still get some decent pics with flash.You never take pics with flash straight at the fish,keep the cam at some angle of the fish either a little above the fish or below the fish so as the flash want hit directly on the fish.
U can also defuse the flash using a tissue paper or masking tape.
Here is an example with and without flash:
With flash(camera at an angle)

Without flash

Now to the Tank!
First to do is to make sure your tank is clean,frontglass especially since it's there we are taking most of the pictures.I will show you here an example of green spots on the glass can really be bad when you finally got that great shot and the green spots destroys the picture Angry
Green spots on the glass.

So make sure your glass is clean Wink
Next is the lighting,the most importan thing as to get good pictures.If you dont have good light then you can add some lights like an desk lamp or something but make sure it want fall in the tank...we dont want that do we!
Also the best time of the day to take pics is at evenings,turn of all the lights in the room so only the tank light is on.Taking pics at this time can really show some wonderful colors of your fish.
Here is an example.
Daytime picture.

Evening picture

Hope this will help you guys out.
I will add more later on,and if some have any more to add then please do so.
Greats,
Rob

In heaven there is no Beer...that's why we drink it here!..lalalala....
Debbs
Senior Staff

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 08:24:57 AM »

Excellent tips, beautiful pictures!! Now if only I had your camera   Wink
Rob1619

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 11:28:20 AM »

I thought i had posted in the correct thread!
Oh well...here is another picture i took with flash but i had the flash defused by a masking tape.
You can see that the flash isn't showing to much on the picture and on the fish.

Here i will show you what might happend taking pics at daytime.You can see everything reflexes at the frontglass of the tank and the pic want show the fish good enough.

oscarpooky
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 12:45:38 PM »

Rob,
Thank you sooo much for taking time on this...This will help me a bunch....  kewl
I'll try to get some pics this evening and see if I can get better ones.
 Wink
Rob1619

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 12:56:57 PM »

Excellent tips, beautiful pictures!! Now if only I had your camera   Wink
My camera isn't that good really!..i wish i got an SLR cam.
Rob,
Thank you sooo much for taking time on this...This will help me a bunch....  kewl
I'll try to get some pics this evening and see if I can get better ones.
 Wink
NP Wink..i was bored at the office and then i remember you asked some questions!..so then i thought why not do a thread and hopefully help out other members that need help taking better pics.
Looking forward to see the pics.

Tee
Tired of the manly title

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 08:32:34 PM »

Press the camera to the glass when taking a pic with flash prevents the reflection of the flash from showing up in the pic.  Doing that will also eliminate the problem of glass reflection from external lights.

I prefer to set the aperture to its widest and adjust the shuttle speed according to the amount of light on the subject.  This usually works for "cooperative" subjects like my shrimps, snails and otos.  The uncooperative ones like glowlights, threadfins and betta, I will have to try Rob's way to try and capture them as a slow shuttle speed results in blurry images.

55g planted - Many endlers, 13 otos, 2 BN + 3 tweens, 1 SAE, 1 sid, 6 rosy loach, 6 badis sp. + 2 babies, 2 amano shrimps.
CTho9305
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 10:58:03 PM »

Avoid taking pictures through the glass at an angle.

Square-on:

At an angle:
Rob1619

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 09:21:56 AM »

It's amazing how the pics can be so unclear or sharp by holding it at an angle or straight at the subject.
Great tip  Wink

Hickler
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 02:31:35 PM »

Hey Rob, I have a question. What is the ISO exactly and when i turn my Sony DSC-H3 to 100 ISO (lowest setting), the shutter doesn't close as fast, making the picture blurry.
Tee
Tired of the manly title

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 08:35:39 PM »

Can't really remember what ISO stands for ... but basically, when we used to use films instead of memory cards and chips ... ISO refers to the light sensitivity of the film.  So a higher ISO will be more light sensitive than a lower ISO ... so that must be good right?  Not really.  The higer the ISO, the grainier the photo will be.  In some of the older digital camera, high ISO are close to useless because of the grain introduced.  I think 100 ISO is a good setting ... I am not sure why the shutter speed slows down because of low ISO setting ... it shouldn't be the case.  Can you change the aperture size and shutter speed manually?

BTW, I am Kosh, we are all Kosh.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 08:40:40 PM by Tee » Logged

55g planted - Many endlers, 13 otos, 2 BN + 3 tweens, 1 SAE, 1 sid, 6 rosy loach, 6 badis sp. + 2 babies, 2 amano shrimps.
Hickler
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 06:16:01 AM »

Idk why it does, you cant manually change the speed for the shutter on my cam. All the pics I uploaded i the new thread i started were ISO 3200. They seemed good to me (although I could use more mega pixles) Wink
Rob1619

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 06:30:20 AM »

Tee got it covered i see Wink

To reduce chances of blurry photos..i belive you have a stabilization on your camera,that will minimize your blurry photos by camera shaking.
Try some Iso at 200,400 and 800,shutterspeed at auto.
I use flash most of the time i take pics and use the tulip button(macro).
If i can help you with more then please ask Wink

Rob1619

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 06:37:05 AM »

Updated this older thread with some new pics taken with the Nikon D40.
Hey guys!
Here are some tips on getting those decent pictures of your fish.
The Camera: My cam is the Nikon D40
My settings for taking pics:
I use low ISO,80-100.If you use over 200 ISO it will be to much noice on the picture.
I also use the Tulip button(Macro mode).
The Auto: Places the camera in control of all basic exposure settings, including aperture and shutter speed. The user has control over zoom, macro mode, and some flash settings.
Shutter Button: Located on the camera's top panel, this button sets focus and exposure when halfway pressed, and fires the shutter when fully pressed,so when you are ready to take a pic then halfway press the button to see if the fish is in focus.If it doesnt show the fish clear then halfway press it till it shows the fish clear and the fully press the button.
Flash:.You never take pics with flash straight at the fish,keep the cam at some angle of the fish either a little above the fish or below the fish so as the flash want hit directly on the fish.
U can also defuse the flash using a tissue paper or masking tape.
Here is an example with and without flash:
With flash(camera at an angle)

Without flash

When taking pics with flash you can also defuse the flash fex.with tissue paper like i have done here.
Flash not defused

And flash defused with tissue paper.

Now to the Tank!
First to do is to make sure your tank is clean,frontglass especially since it's there we are taking most of the pictures.I will show you here an example of green spots on the glass can really be bad when you finally got that great shot and the green spots destroys the picture
Green spots on the glass.

So make sure your glass is clean.
Next is the lighting,the most importan thing as to get good pictures.If you dont have good light then you can add some lights like an desk lamp or something but make sure it want fall in the tank...we dont want that do we!Here you can clearly see the pics are rather dark even when flashed is used because of low lights in the tank.

Also the best time of the day to take pics is at evenings,turn of all the lights in the room so only the tank light is on.Taking pics at this time can really show some wonderful colors of your fish.
Here is an example.
Daytime picture.

Evening picture

Here i will show you what might happend taking pics at daytime.You can see everything reflexes at the frontglass of the tank and the pic want show the fish good enough.

Hickler
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 08:10:09 PM »

I always use the stabalization. By the way, nice pics. Nikons are awesome aren't they? Smiley
konstargirl
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 08:09:25 PM »

I like those shots of the fish.  happy The picture of the plecosometus is full of love. <3
Gomomuck73
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 04:56:59 PM »

Whats the secret?  I have a Canon camera, a SD1000.   Whenever Im at a show, happens at wedding ceremonies too, I cant take a picture. 

They are very blurry and/or very dark.  I cant get a good picture to save my life.  Its really frustrating and I dont like to take a ton of pictures at the show as it is, so I cant really practice.

So what are the secrets/tips of taking a decent picture from a distance at a show with a consumer-level camera?
tntfox

Tanks: 46 gal. bowfront 1 pr. breeding angels, 2 calico plecos; 50 gal. 6 N. brichardi with fry, 1 calico pleco

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 07:20:53 PM »

Rob-I have a question-what's macro mode?  I have that option on my camera but I have no idea what it means.  My husband keeps telling me to read my book.  To me they read like stereo instructions.  It's a Canon Powershot SD790 IS.

Thanks.

Remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others. -- The Wizard of Oz
Gomomuck73
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 07:58:33 PM »

Im thinking of bringing someone to a cemetery and taking pictures there.  Anyone out there who has done this before...can you tell me whats the best way to go about doing this?  Im not sure if I need a permit.
Dawn
Just Dawn.
Senior Staff

Freshwater fish love fresh water.

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 02:26:19 PM »

Gomomuck73- Digital zoom is not all it's cracked up to be. Adding flash at a distance doesn't really help either. You need to get as close as you can to your subject. I'm not familiar with your camera. Some of them you can get zoom extensions, or if it's a DSLR, investing in a zoom lens is a good option. 

About the cemetery, usually you don't need a permit, but there are general guidelines. If there is a funeral going on, just leave. Unless it's a really huge cemetary, don't even try just moving to another area. Also, be respectful. No tromping over graves. No names showing in the final photos, that sort of thing. If you plan to make money from these photos then you should probably talk to somebody about your project first, as putting money in the mix does change things.

tntfox - (I'm not Rob but ... ) Macro mode is so you can take close up shots of small things. It's my favorite kind of photography! Macros of flowers and bugs.

tntfox

Tanks: 46 gal. bowfront 1 pr. breeding angels, 2 calico plecos; 50 gal. 6 N. brichardi with fry, 1 calico pleco

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 05:54:31 PM »

Thanks Dawn  Smiley

Remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others. -- The Wizard of Oz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation