- A beautiful and peaceful schooling fish. This would make a brilliant addition to a community tank and will school with similar looking fish.
Listed tank sizes are the minimum
|Size:||Slightly over 1 inch (3 cm).|
|Tank:||15 Gallons for a singles species tank with a nice school. Due to their active nature it’s best to keep this species in a tank at least 24″ (60 cm) in length.|
|Strata:||Mainly midwater. Will feed at the top and bottom though.|
|PH:||5.5 – 7, tolerates wide range.|
|Hardness:||Soft to moderately hard (hardness to 10 dGH)|
|Temperature:||73°F to 82°F (23°-28° C)|
- , Glowlight Rasbora.
- NBorneo, Sumatra and Indonesia.
General Body Form:This fish is often confused with Harlequin and espei rasboras. The Hengel is the smallest of the three species. Not as stocky as the Harlequin rasbora.
- In comparison to the Harlequin Rasbora the Hengel’s Rasbora has a smaller triangle with a faint orange line above its black spot. This orange line is not present in the R.espei, which is also more reddish in colour than the Hengel.
A small school of Harlequin Rasbora, notice the triangle size.
- This is an omnivorous fish, so both vegetables and frozen and live food should be given to vary their diet, they will also take flake food. Will do best with plenty of swimming room as it is an active fish with dense, tall plants around the sides and back due to their shy nature. As the Hengel’s Rasbora is a schooling fish, it needs a shoal of a minimum 6 fish, preferably more, but I have found they also school with Harlequin Rasboras and espei rasboras. The shoal will establish a pecking order, but won’t cause any harm to each other and prove a good, peaceful community fish.
- A blackwater species native to Slow moving streams of its’ home range
- These fish are difficult to sex and there are few reports of successful aquarium spawnings. Breeding requires soft, acidic water.
Badman’s tropical fish is the largest and most comprehensive aquarium related resource on the web. We focus on making the lives of aquarists and fish keepers easier.